Mission of the Department is to promote, facilitate and secure the long-term development, conservation and utilization of fisheries resources based on responsible fishing practices and environmentally sound management programmes with focus on:
- Sustainable utilization of the natural fish resources
- Augmentation of fish production by aquaculture, exploration of new fishing grounds, promotion of low value fishes.
- Enhancing fish production and productivity
- Ensuring safe fishing
- Increasing livelihood opportunities
- Strengthening social security and welfare measures for fisher folk
- Fish resource conservation and management
- Facilitating improved post harvest practices and value addition with industrial and market linkages.
Roles and responsibilities:
Most of the people engaged in the fishery sector, either in the culture or in the capture fisheries are not very sound economically. Initial investment in setting up of a fish pond or a farmattracts for comparatively largefund. Moreover, due to lack of awareness, knowledge and skill on scientific fish culture practices and management, fish production in the state is comparatively low in relation to its potential. Department of Fisheries can play important role in bridging these gaps and contribute for technical backstopping. Due to constant effort of the state as well as central government and growing interest of the farming community during the last few years, fishery sector in the state has reached to a significant position in the state economy. Recently fish farming has been taken by many rural youth and entrepreneurs as a commercial activity. Fish production in the state has reached a level of 3.07 lakh MT during 2016-17 against 1.58 lakh MT during 2000-01.
For overall growth of the sector, the Department functions with the slogan of ‘’Grow More Fish’’ and the following mandates:
- To increase fish and quality fish seed production in the state with optimum utilization of resources.
- Implementation of fishery related schemes of the Government of Assam and Government of India.
- To identify and promote research and studies on fisheries and fishery related areas so that benefit can be disseminated to the grass root level users.
- To collect, compile, analyze and make available adequate / relevant statistical and other information for proper planning to promote fish farming and related industries/ activities.
- To prepare/support in preparation/vet project reports and proposals related to Fisheries and Fishery related industries.
- To provide extension services to fish farmers/ fishermen and fishery entrepreneurs.
The Department has adopted development planning for the fisheries sector as per the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) self sufficiency followed by surplus production for export.
PUBLIC SERVICE DELIVERED BY DEPT. AND PROCESS:
Assam is endowed with vast Fishery resources in the form of rivers, ponds, derelict water bodies, Beels covering 2.85 lakh ha in addition to the two major river systems viz the Brahmaputra and Barak with their tributaries. Fish occupies an important place in the lives of the people of the State and fish farming has been one of the common activities in the rural areas. Thus the Fishery sector is considered as an important economic activity in the socio-economic context in the State of Assam. The State Fishery Department has a mandate to increase fish and quality fish seed production, identify and promote research and studies on fisheries and allied areas, promote scientific fish farming, provide extension services to fish farmers, fishermen and fishery entrepreneurs with a vision to achieve self-sufficiency in fish production through sustainable fisheries management practices.
LOCATION OF OFFICE AND ADDRESS
Office of the District Fishery Dev. Officer